The Journey ~

Life is a journey. Not a destination.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A couple glamping tips

I added a small rug to the Victorian  set. Rugs serve several purposes. The first being visual interest. The most important reasons though would be to a) protect your tent floor and b) give insulation when camping the fringes of the season.

The tent floor is sometimes similar to a tarp type of fabric. (My Coleman tents havethat) This Alps Mountaineering tent is nylon, treated nylon, durable but thin.  Always try to put a ground cloth down before pitching your tent. Fold the edges in so that none of your ground cloth extends beyond your tent. Nothing screams "idiot" to me louder than seeing a tarp sticking  out a foot beyond the tent.  Of course it is going to rain. You are camping. It's  like some rule of nature that if you are out, it's going  to rain. The  extended tarp collects that rain and deposits it right under your tent. Even if the tent doesn't let the water in, you will have a mess to clean up. Just fold the tarp a little  and avoid the mess.

Even with a ground cloth you need to protect  your tent floor from the  inside. For protection against puppy toes, children and clutzes, I use those weight room floor mat pieces that go together like a puzzle. They are super insulating, too. I camp in November  and can comfortably sit on the floor. For summer, I have a rug that is woven from some plastic/nylon stuff. It doesn't take as much room to pack so I use it. I also have some nice rag rugs that work great by themselves  or over the mats.

Moral of the story:  Adding layers to your floor is more comfortable and will help your tent too!

I also added some personal photos. It's nice to have personal touches of loved ones with you. I like to camp alone. Photos give me a focus for meditation and contemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment